Moving away after your divorce

On Behalf of | Apr 10, 2020 | Family Law

Custody Issues After a Divorce

As you work your way through your divorce proceedings, one thing to remember is that despite the perceived finally that divorce brings, your life will go on once your case becomes finalized. Part of that may include encountering the opportunity to move away from Cartersville. 

Yet how can that happen if you share custody of children with your ex-spouse? Many have come to us here at The Law Office of James E. Goad, PC with that very question. Fortunately, there is a method through which you can modify your custody agreement to allow for this. 

Relocating with your kids 

As you may have already guessed, you cannot simply pack up and move away with the kids. Title 19 Chapter 9 of Georgia’s Annotated Code states that you must give your ex-spouse notice of your intent to move at least 60 days prior to your planned move. In the event of an unplanned relocation, you can provide the aforementioned notice less than 60 days before the relocation provided you give it within 10 days of learning of your need to move. 

Notifying your ex-spouse  

When notifying your ex-spouse of an intended move, you must include the following information: 

  • Your intended destination (including your new physical address, if you already know it) 
  • Your new mailing address (if different than the one provided above) 
  • Your new telephone number 
  • The date you intend to move 
  • The reason for the move 

You must also propose a new custody agreement that allows your ex-spouse to continue to see the kids on a regular basis. Your notice must also let them know they have the right to request a hearing if they oppose your proposed changes. 

You can learn more about modifying your custody agreement by continuing to explore our site.