Can I modify my custody agreement?

On Behalf of | Oct 15, 2019 | Family Law

Unlike many decisions in Georgia courtrooms, matters involving the custody of children are not meant to be set in stone. The court recognizes that situations change, children grow up and needs are different at different points in life. What this means for you is that once your case is over and the parenting plan is in place, you can later request changes. explains the judge always makes custody decisions in the best interest of your children. The court does not consider what is best for you or the other parent. If a decision is not in alignment with something good for your children, the court will not make it. So, keep that in mind when you request a modification to custody arrangements. Your motive should always be that a change is better for your children.

You also should know that you cannot request a change to custody whenever you want. There has to be a significant change in your family situation. The court has the right to decide what constitutes a significant change. Generally, though, it is something that has a meaningful impact on the current custody arrangement.

In addition, your child may request a change in custody once he or she reaches 14 years old. Then, your child may request a change every two years. The court may also review your case every two years and could modify the arrangement for visitation. Note that the court only modifies custody for a significant change in your family, but visitation is subject to change at any time. This information is for education and is not legal advice.